Thursday, March 6, 2008

Snowflakes

I thought that I enjoyed being too cold more than being too hot. I figured I could remedy the chill better than I could chill the heat. But, I was walking home tonight, and I was cold. I'm dumb, and didn't wear enough. Do I really enjoy this? No, no I don't. Then I thought about why.

I'm sure most kids have their parents tell them to put on a jacket when they go outside and it isn't summer or night time. Why, child asks. So you don't catch a cold, parent replies. That scares me a bit. I don't like being sick. I don't want to let it stop me from doing anything, but I don't want to spread it around. And feeling bad, snot everywhere. Gross. If I'm cold outside, I could catch a cold! My lack of warmth could make me miserable in the near future.

That, and it's not very comfortable.

I would rather be gross and sweaty and smelling terrible in some shade on some scorchingly hot day, than risk my health being cold. But not in the sun. That's what gets me about being too hot. Sunburns. The sun destroys my skin. I'm fairly white and not at all tanned because of it. I don't tan. Just burn. And that's worse than the possibility of being sick. Definitely being in pain. The shoulders and back of neck. Up there for the worst things about summer. Mosquitoes are up there too. And I haven't even been to Ontario.

And sunscreen? Eww.

First is sunburns,
then colds,
then being sticky and sweaty and smelly.

No comments: