Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The elephant

I have a friend who describes how her brains works as something like standing beside a train that is going full speed, and she sees all these images and ideas and thoughts passing by as quickly as a train, and she just picks one at random and speaks it. That's kind of what I do here.

I don't think I have ever let myself get to this sorry a state before. I've worked a few nights in a row now. The weekend I have only had naps, and Haven't mustered much better since. My body is not accustomed to sleeping enough. Which is great. Four or five hours, and then I'm up. 8 hours is such a waste anyway. Eventually, I just won't sleep, and will have excessive amounts of time on my hands. If I thought my body could take what it is taking now. I was playing some game this morning (you know, when I should have been sleeping) and I would fall asleep whenever I closed my eyes. I got my nap in, and that kept me going for a while, but then... Who told me I could do this? That I wanted to?

I would sleep more, but I need more hours. I want to do things. I want to learn to drive. Play music well. Make that stuff I got worth while. Be a godly man. Clean my perpetually unclean house. Keep my friends. They aren't easy to keep when you can't see them often. These are mostly time management problems. I think. But if not sleeping can correct my lack of organization...

I pick dates about a week away from whenever I am, and that wil be when things get better. Life will be what I want it to be. I just have to wait. I don't think that is true though. Time for a different approach. Yeah.

Yeah.

3 comments:

Bryi said...

Time for a different approach. Yeah.

Yes. This. You worry me with all the work you do -- money is great and all, but you need to have boundaries.

Brainstorming session tomorrow night?

AfterVerner said...

I wasn't thinking about a different approach to work, but life. Instead of letting it happen, making it happen. Guiding it to where. Using my time productively. that's why I was trying to buy a calender, but you know how that worked out.

MC said...

yes... well, at least you havn't let the rigorousness of working life disrupt your spontanuity.

we know that balance is important, but i understand the whole motivation to work lots and hard. I don't think there's much wrong with that. You've still got at least one friend and i think you'll put up flags if the burning out or workaholicism is on the horizon. So as long as you keep on, keep it real.
Making life happen. neat.